The purpose of this subpart is to create options for selected State educational agencies and local educational agencies —
(1) to improve the academic achievement of all students, and to focus the resources of the Federal Government upon such achievement;
(2) to improve teacher quality and subject matter mastery, especially in mathematics, reading, and science;
(3) to better empower parents, educators, administrators, and schools to effectively address the needs of their children and students;
(4) to give participating State educational agencies and local educational agencies greater flexibility in determining how to increase their students academic achievement and implement education reforms in their schools;
(5) to eliminate barriers to implementing effective State and local education reform, while preserving the goals of opportunity for all students and accountability for student progress;
(6) to hold participating State educational agencies and local educational agencies accountable for increasing the academic achievement of all students, especially disadvantaged students; and
(7) to narrow achievement gaps between the lowest and highest achieving groups of students so that no child is left behind.